Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Levon Helm - The Mountain

G.....................................................Em
I was born on this mountain a long, long time ago

..............C...............................................................D
Before they knocked down the timber and they strip-minded all the coal

G........................................................Em
When you rose up in the morning before it was daylight

.........C...................................................G
To go down the that dark hole and come back up at night


I was born on this mountain, this mountain's my home
She holds me and she keeps me from a worry and woe
Well, they took everything she game, she gave me now she's gone
But I'll die on this mountain, this mountain's my home

I was young on this mountain but now I am old
And I know every holler, every cool swimming hole
Till one night I lay down and I woke up to find
That my childhood was over I went back down in the mine

There's a hole in this mountain, it's dark and it's deep
And God only knows all the secrets that it keeps
There's a chill in the air only miners can feel
There's ghost in the tunnels that the company sealed

No comments: