Thursday, August 2, 2007

Mountain Goats - Wild Sage

G..................................................A
I leave the house as soon as it gets light outside

C....................G
Like a prisoner breaking out of jail

G........................................A
And I steel down to business fifteen-five-oh-one

C..........................G
like I had a bounty hunter on my tail

......................D
and somebody stops to pick me up

..........C
but he drops me off just down the block

....................G.......Em....C............................G
and along the highway where the empty spirits breathe

G............D...................G
wild sage growing in the weeds

Walked down the soft shoulder and I count my steps
Headed vaguely eastward sun in my eyes
And I lose my footing and I skin my hands breaking my fall
And I laugh to myself, and look up at the skies

And then I think I hear angels in my ears
Like marbles being thrown against a mirror
And along the highway where unlucky stray dogs bleed
Wild sage growing in the weeds


F..............C............................G
and some days I don't miss my family

F..............C........G
and some days I do

F................C..................G............Em
some days I think I'd feel better if I tried harder

C..................................D7
most days I know it's not true

I lay down right where I felt cold grass in my face
And I hear the traffic like the rhythm of the tides
And I stare at the scrape on the heel of my hand
'til it doesn't sting so much and until the bloods dried

And when somebody asks if I'm ok
I don't know what to say
And along the highway
From cast-off innumerable seeds
Wild sage growing in the weeds.

No comments: